Moray - off the A96 road between Forres and Nairn
The Brodies are recorded as inhabiting
the area in the reign of Alexander III, but first endowed
the land in 1160 by Malcolm IV. Damaged in 1645 during the
Montrose Campaigns, the castle is now based on a 16th century
'ZZ' plan with later additions in the 17th and 19th centuries.
The castle, its contents and 175 acres were acquired from
the 25th Brodie of Brodie and in 1980 transferred into the
National Trust for Scotland.
Features include fine French furniture; English, Continental
and Chinese porcelain; paintings from 17th century Dutch
to 18th and early 19th century English watercolours and
French Impressionists; 4 acre pond in the grounds; nature
trail and observation hide.