8m SE of Dumfries on the B725
Caerlaverock (Lark's Nest), one of Scotlands finest castles,
is everyone's idea of a medieval fortress. The scene of
two famous sieges this moated castle has a children's adventure
park, a model siege engine and nature trail in its grounds.
Constructed in the 1270s by Sir
Herbert de Maxwell with a twin towered gatehouse and keep
combined around the entrance. The castle is triangular in
shape, tapering back in a southerly direction from the gatehouse.
Water filled moats surround the castle, which was reached
by a pivoted swing bridge leading to an entrance passage
with iron bound doors and a portcullis. The original wooden
galleries around the walls were later replaced with stone.
Much of the present building dates from 1320, when the Murdoch
Tower was added, although there were considerable extensions
during the 15th century. In 1634, Robert Maxwell, first
Earl of Nithsdale, constructed domestic accommodation withinthe
south and east walls.