following text and artists impression are taken from the Historic
Scotland information board situated outside the castle. Sadly
the text fails to mention either of the battles that took
place at Inverlochy or the involvement of Montrose in the
demise of the castle following his success in 1645.....
Inverlochy Castle is one of the few Highland castles to survive
largely unaltered since the Wars of Independence (1296-1357)
It was built by the powerful Coymn
family around 1280 but only occupied by them until 1308.
Thereafter the castle appears to have been abandoned and
in use only sporadically, for example, by the Gordon Earls
of Huntly who were granted it in 1506.
The castle served as the centre of
a Lordship and was designed to provide impressive public
and private chambers.
It was constructed on an open and relatively
flat site allowing one side to be protected by the River
Lochy itself and the other three by a moat fed by the river.
In addition to the accommodation within the towers, the
quadrangular courtyard would have had a range of timber
buildings including a great hall, kitchens, a bake house,
brew house and stables, and it would have bustled with people.
Castle was provided with formidable defences in a style
similar to contemporary English Castles. The high walls
were designed to make attack and scaling difficult and the
slope (or batter) lessened the impact of a battering ram
and deterred mining. As well as providing greater wall thickness,
the angle of the wall kept the assailants ladders away from
it and so more exposed to missiles fired from above. The
garrison of the castle had access to the wall-walks via
stairs winding up within the towers. At the top parapets
on both sides protect the wall-walks.
The following picture were taken of the castle in May